Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Little Jewel of Southeast Alaska

Gustavus Inn, Gustavus, Alaska
If there was one place that I could pick to come back to again and again, it would be Gustavus. With a population of 500, this is an unusual town not just in size but by the attitudes of its people. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, waves when you pass them on the street. The thought of returning back to Los Angeles and waving hello to everyone put a grin on my face. Wouldn't it be a much better place if you were greeted like that instead of with one finger?
My little jewel of a place was "Gustavus Inn". Even from my bike on the road, I was pulled into it's driveway to take a closer look at the quaintness of the building and its wonderful garden outside. I knew that this place was where I would find that quintessential "bed and breakfast" of my imaginations. Someday I'd like to own and operate one, that would welcome "wreary" souls from their "day to day" routines of life, a getaway from the madding crowd.
In July, the place was obviously filled to occupancy, but the garden not yet in full bloom. By August, I returned to see the most colorful array of vegetables and flowers. "I think I could just take a seat right in the middle of it all" quoted a family member of the inn owners. Betsy grew up in Gustavus all her life and she was the driver who picked me up at Glacier Bay Lodge, where I worked the seasonal job. During our short trip to the Inn, I discovered that the same family ran the place for 40 years and that her brother had run it for 30 years. I was intrigued by the fact that this family also moved eight children in a yellow school bus along a 12, 000 mile journey from Boston to Alaska in the late '50's. The Lesh family was definitely a pioneer of some sorts in those days. Heck they would be a pioneer in these days with eight children in tow.
I am sure that this will not be the last I see of the Leshes or Gustavus Inn. Every year I plan to come back to the Inn during the summer months. Our hurried and frantic lifestyle has caused to to reevaluate some of my priorities. Wouldn't it be nice if we just took the time to talk to the ones around us?


No comments:

Post a Comment