Saturday, September 12, 2009

Saturday at the Farmer's Market


Pasadena Farmer's markets are all in different parts of the city and during all hours of the week, but this morning I decided to go to the one at the Pasadena High School which started at 8:00 and goes to about 1:00. The morning was crisper than it has been. It was a perfect day to throw on my purple halter top and patchwork "hippie" skirt. Because by the end of the afternoon, the sun would surely be scorching!
It began with a stroll through the entire market. Stopping to take some pictures of the many colorful and enticing produce. One's imagination could run rampant with recipes of wild berry tarts, plums, dates, peppers (which ran from mild to hot roasting in an open pit), corn salsa with fresh basil and lemon (which I ran home to make for my lunch). My repetorie was endless and it stirred my appetite. So for my breakfast, I had a chile relleno tamale with a mild salsa, chipotle sauce, a hot avocado salsa, tomatillo, and even a hot habernero sauce! I tried every single one before 9:00am. I rationalized that it was lunchtime somewhere! And really it was only one tamale. Down the hatchet! Everything was so delicious, not one sauce was any better than the other.
Today my goal was to find quince. I found only one farmer who actually sold it. He offered me about 7 of them and I decided to buy them because they were still quite firm but I needed them for my catered dinner for the following Sunday. This was a victory since no one even knew what quinces were.
When the morning crispness started to turn a lot hotter, I headed home to make my lunch: fresh corn, basil, and fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper (that is it folks!)...............It's so healthy and delicious. You'll have to try it yourself!





No comments:

Post a Comment