Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Wild Alaska, Glacier Bay




Yes, I took that picture!!! It was my first time on the whale watching tour. Weather was beautiful in the Glacier Bay and it was exciting being out on the water for the first time since I arrived in Gustavus, Alaska. Beauty surrounded me and it was so breathtaking. The land was so untouched. Underlining the serenity was pure wilderness - bears, moose, wolves, bald eagles, porcupines, grizzlies, killer whales, sea lions, otters..........it was pure adventure!

I have never thought I was the explorer type of the caliber of John Muir. Since the thought of insects crawling all over my arms, face, legs, and body was absolutely the worst nightmare, I left all that exploring to them.

I often opt more for the five star variety of resort living. But here I was in Glacier Bay for a little less than 10 weeks (8 to be exact because they cut my assignment early due to a sharp decline in occupancy rates). When I arrived at the Juneau airport, I thought THIS I can take. But I had to take an excursion flight to the small town of Gustavus. The views for above were spectacular and my heart was filled with the joy of knowing how the explorers must have felt seeing this wilderness for the first time.

Fast forward: I arrive at Glacier Bay National Park after spotting my first wild life, a moose standing on the side of the road! Wow, I am in bear country now. My first item on my agenda: settling in and unpacking. My suitcases weighed heavy as I noticed the first pangs of aching muscles in my neck. My HR staff member showed me to my accommodations. I walked past two buildings which bear the appropriate name "browntown', very nondescript. Then, the third one, was my building. As I looked around my room, I thought, "I need to go back to my comforts of home NOW." This shattered my whole idea of exploring wild country! Oh well, let's make the best of situation. And so I did.

My job at "browntown" was supplying every meal and supply to the Employee Dining Room. I was not thrilled. Place was dirty and showed years of neglect. My work was cut out for me and I stepped up to the challenge! First impressions die hard and in this cause it was true.

It took me several bike rides into town, a kayaking trip to the Beardslee Islands, my first return trip to Juneau, a stay at the Gustavus Inn to change my mind about the wreckage I perceived. I went home on the ferry to Juneau conquering my fears of the wild. It was great to come to terms with the fact that I am not that "pioneer" woman. I enjoy a beer with the sunsets at a nice restaurant overlooking all the wilderness. It will have an indelible mark in my memories even now as I sleep in the comfort of my duvet covers and 2000 count sheets............ahhhhhhh.......5* I love it!!






No comments:

Post a Comment